Thursday, June 11, 2009

Habakkuk 3

The last chapter in Habakkuk is all about God's power, His wrath, and His faithfulness.
Verse 2, "O Lord, I have heard Your speech and was afraid; O Lord, revive Your work in the midst of the years! In the midst of the years make it known; in wrath remember mercy."
And verse 16, "When I heard, my body trembled; my lips quivered at the voice; rottenness entered my bones; and I trembled in myself, that I might rest in the day of trouble. When he comes up to the people, he will invade them with his troops."

Habakkuk knew the Lord would do as He said. He would bring the wicked down. Surely you can hear his cry for mercy and his wonder at being able to rest in the midst these days?

I do not fear the Lord as I should. I am not always in awe of the peace that surrounds me in the midst of storms. But, my friends, tell me where else would this peace come from, if not from the Lord? I should stand amazed that He has granted me His great and loving mercy; His peace in the storm.

I know the Lord will move as He wills and He will do as He desires, but do I truly know this? Can I truly understand this? And by understanding, can I truly fear and tremble before the Lord my God?

I don't remember when, but sometime ago (actually a long time ago) I underlined the last three verses. They say:

"Though the fig tree may not blossom,
Nor fruit be on the vines;
Though the labor of the olive may fail,
And the fields yield no food;
Though the flock may be cut off from the fold,
And there be no herd in the stalls -
Yet I will rejoice in the Lord,
I will joy in the God of my salvation.
The Lord God is my strength;
He will make my feet like the deer's feet,
And He will make me walk on my high hills.
To the Chief Musician. With my stringed instruments."

Though Habakkuk had just been trembling at the power of our God, he also knew that he could trust the Lord. He takes a stand. He makes a choice that no matter what he will trust the Lord. He will rejoice in the God of his salvation.

I pray that I will begin to truly understand how powerful and wrathful my God is, but yet how merciful and loving He is as well.

I have enjoyed Habakkuk tremendously. It's been amazing to read of God's faithfulness even in the midst of evil. He prevails. Praise the Lord for that! I needed to hear it. Evil has been in my midst and He has, He will be and He is faithful to me. I do not deserve it.

No comments: