Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Fail

One aspect of this whole online dating thing I did not consider was the computer/matching programs making a mistake.

Match.com matched me up with a very sweet, funny, caring, understanding guy. I was actually really into him. And then he told me this:

"Speaking of Biblical, I do not attend church, though I will tag along with my uncle and his family on occasion. Religion is something that is more of a curiosity to me. As in, while I don't really do the church thing and such, you'd be surprised how much I study on it and the history there-in is fascinating to me in many ways. But don't get me wrong, I do have my beliefs, and I certainly consider myself spiritual if nothing else."

My heart was bruised (not broken, or cracked or anything serious like that). We had been emailing everyday for about a week. The emails kept getting longer; we shared stories about our families; talked about music, movies, time spent alone, our jobs, our pets, coffee, and more. It was good wholesome conversations over email.

After reading his email it took me two days to get the courage up to tell him that ours would not be a lasting relationship because I valued my faith too much. To be honest, I did not want to write it. I didn't want to hurt him. Plus, it just hurt period to write it out.

Now I'm in the waiting period. You know when you send a text or email or something along those sorts and then about die waiting for a response?! Yeah, I'm there.

I've thought about suing Match.com for matching me up with someone really great but that I could never be with. Mostly because they told me we matched up in our religious beliefs even though he had nothing on his profile that mentioned God, or church, etc. I thought it was a bit odd, but I trusted their matching system. And it failed me.

No comments: