Tuesday, February 26, 2008

"I would be honored if you’d accept...."

Feel like your boyfriend is taking too long to "pop" the question? Well, I have a solution for all of you traditionalist who believe the man should do the proposing, but your man isn't doing anything.... you have one chance to do something about it.

Friday, February 29th, is Leap day. According to legend, some women in the 5th century were getting a bit frustrated with having to wait on their man to ask! So St. Bridget complained to St. Patrick. His solution was to allow women a chance every four years to ask their beaus to marry. Thus you may ask your man to marry you and make you the happiest woman in the world this Friday.

In 1288, supposedly, Scotland made the tradition a law and the men who refused to accept a proposal on Leap day got fined. Payment could be in the form of a kiss, a pair of gloves or a silk dress.

Goodness, if I'd been alive in 1288, I would have asked a man who hated me just so he could pay up! Of course, I wonder what would happen if he accepted.... Maybe that's not such a good idea after all! *grins*

Anyways, ladies, if you feel the need to abide by tradition, you may rest assured that you have (according to tradition!) one day that you will not be looked down upon for asking your man to marry (as long as you do it before midnight on Friday!).

I say you better get busy planning that proposal! You've only got three days! By the way, Chris Rice has some awesome love songs! I highly recommend them! Wow, I've got a lot of plugs for CR on my blogs today! Yay! Go Chris Rice!

No comments: